What's happening and what we're into
SPACESHIPS 5.1k FUN RUN: oCTOBER 1, 2017
The Spaceships 5K Charity Run offers a 5km(ish) run through some of North Vancouver's beautiful trail systems and pathways. An approachable, slow rolling circuit that favours those looking for a scenic yet challenging route. All funds raised will go directly to Spaceships Youth Empowerment Society, an organization that umbrellas both Varsity Initiative and Girlvana Yoga.
NEW MERCH: THE PIGEONS HAVE LANDED
WHY THE PIGEON?
- A pigeon is determined and a sighting may encourage an individual to stand firm regardless of formidable challenges. #squabgoals
- Pigeon pose: obviously. #kapotasana
- Have you ever seen a pigeon by itself? Most likely not. This art work by Ali Bruce is our nod to the strength and support offered within the community. We are strong because of the strong people who stand with us. #ourcommunityiseverything
- A pigeon dismantles pre-conceived ideas of beauty. It is often not seen as beautiful unlike it's counterpart, the dove, because of our conditioning to see “whiteness” as the symbol of purity and beauty. “#layers
- Finally, it is Distrikt Movement’s goal to never be pigeonholed in to being just a yoga or a fitness studio. Those who know us and go here, also know that there is more to our movement than just the movements. #YOUGOHERE
The custom art on the back of the tees is created by the crazy talented Ali Bruce.
Black long sleeves and white short sleeves available in-studio now and online.
YOGA WAS THAT YOU?
So I stretched my body because I needed to stretch my heart, but it wouldn't give. It wouldn't fucking give, so I had to to ask yoga. I hit my mat and wished for deliverance. I wished for the sweet release of breath and movement and prayed my stingy heart would take note. Move blood, move bones, move breath, move body. Come on heart- open, receive, feel more than just the numbness.
Is that you fear? Old friend, heavy hitter, most likely to succeed? Did you invite doubt, hate and anxiety too? Is it a dinner party now in which you serve up painful memories and unhealed wounds? What is for dessert? Distrust topped with self loathing and hostility? Thought so. So what? What now?
I breathe. I let you in. I welcome you like a good hostess, dressed in my very best. I have been drinking wine. I have been praying. I have been trying. You show up and I act like the good little girl, the dutiful wife, the committed concubine I am. I let you in.
We sway and for the first time, I lead. I direct the movement. I breathe in and I breath out and you disappear. I am left empty but not gutted. Alone but not lonely. You leave and I am a soloist. My heart murmurs softly from within, "thank you." The sweet liberation from it's captor. Just an illusion, yet a very real threat. My heart emerges and fills me with song. Together we dance. Free. Has it not always been the point? Liberation through movement. Yoga was that you?